Old Filey centred on Queen Street, was for more than thousand years a remote farming and fishing village. New Filey which consisted of The Crescent and neighbouring streets, came into being in 1835 as a result of the foresight of John Wilkes Unett, an elderly Birmingham solicitor. He purchased the farm land and arranged for the building of the private residences, boarding houses and hotel which were to comprise the Crescent. They were completed in the 1850’s.
Many consider the combination of splendid terraces, colourful gardens and unrivalled sea views make this whole development one of the most attractive in the country.
In 1920, when they were purchased from The Crescent Gardens and given to the town by a local resident, the gardens were owned by those who lived on the Crescent and entry was restricted.
In 1961 the Sun Lounge replaced a bandstand in which a small orchestra gave concerts and played for open air dancing. The present bandstand was built by the Filey Rotary Club in 1998 to commemorate 50 years of the Rotary Club’s service in Filey since 1947. the bandstand was later gifted by the club to the people of Filey in 2012 and is now managed by Filey Town Council.
The Filey post and List of Visitors was published from the 1850’s to World War 1 and in it’s pages were the names, home and holiday addresses of almost everyone who was staying in the town. The list confirm that many people of substance frequently chose Filey for their holidays in preference to the usually more convenient south coast resorts. At least 10 members of Queen Victoria’s family visited the town.
The White Lodge Hotel was during Edwardian days, the home of Shakespearain actress Dame Madge Kendal and her impresario husband. In 1897, she allowed him to purchase the house for her only on condition that for a year he would cease buying her furs and jewels.
The composer Frederick Delius holidayed several times in Filey as a boy, when his family visited from their home in Bradford. In 1879 while staying with Mrs. Colley at 5 The Crescent he played 2 violin solos during a musical evening. In later, life he recalled with pleasure playing cricket in Hunmanby and Gristhorpe.
The foundation stones of the Roman Signal Station on Carr Naze may be seen in the garden close to the bandstand.